Wednesday 21 December 2011

Group Project - Evaluation

Overall the project has been an enjoyable if frustrating experience. Working in a group on such a large scale project can be quite challenging to organise and not taking into account other modules is probably why the group needed the deadline extension.

However we squeezed everything we could out of the extra time given and managed to make a very professional looking video which meets the brief we were given at the start of the module. I also learned quite a few useful techniques in 3DS Max.

  • Slice Animation
  • Rayfire Animation
  • Advanced Lighting Techniques
  • Backburner Mass Rendering
Lighting gave a lot of headaches when it came to rendering. Getting a perfect flow of animation without lighting speckles or artifacts seemed to be impossible and I plan to develop my knowledge of mental ray rendering in the future.

I am happy with how the group worked as a whole, even though I had to animate a great deal of the project myself due to other members work commitments of lack of a high spec computer it was probably for the best as early on we decided that out of the four of us that I had the strongest animation skills. Jack Dickens helped me out a lot with how rayfire works and when it came to setting up the last scenes animations.

If we were to do the project again as group leader I would try to better organise the team and delegate tasks when required. We struggled initially to maintain a constant level of progress and missed the initial deadline as a result for which we are dissapointed about. Next time better planning would be required.

As a final note I am extremely happy with the final rendered video. It looks professional and I think displays a high level of skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment