Friday 21 October 2011

Modelling My Face - Creating Textures Continued

Since the last post I have progressed further on the texturing process to the point where I just need to work on the eyes and ears.


It is at this stage that I have come across a major problem. I have no available texture for the ear. The original reference image had the ear partially covered by hair. As well as this the second image a took for when I first noticed this problem has gone missing with only a .jpeg of the image covered in reference guide lines. Not very useful for texturing. This means that to meet the current deadline I had to do the best with what I had.


Before that however I worked on the eye area. Using the normals render of the UV Map I drew around the areas of the eye which have the most depth. Indicated by the change in colour. This is the inner part of the eyelid. I filled this area in with the skin tone colour for the inside of the eye.


The screenshot above shows the final texture I have created. Not as good as I would have liked. The resolution is quite low due to the camera used to take it, secondly one side of the face is a different tone due to the lighting in the picture as well. Thirdly I had to be creative with the ear texture due to having no available reference image. I used a similar skin tone and some hair to blend it in.

This is how it looks in 3DS Max:


The ear definitely stands out with the low quality of the texture I made which is unfortunate as overall the texture doesn't look too bad. It lines up generally quite well. The final step now will be to add a bump and specular map and maybe add some hair as an extra bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment